Cacio E Pepe Sugar Snap Peas… a healthy, quick and delicious side dish to go with any main. Ready in 5 minutes!
Forever looking for simple side dishes to serve with heavy meals, like Creamy Tuscan Chicken Thighs? Cacio E Pepe Sugar Snap Peas is so simple, you’ll make it at least once a week!
CACIO E PEPE SNAP PEAS
When you start with a delicious, fresh green veggie like sugar snap peas, you really don’t need much more to improve it. That’s where this recipe comes in! Buttery with a good kick of parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper… Cacio e Pepe sugar snap peas are ready in only 5 minutes!
All you need is fresh shredded parmesan cheese, cracked black pepper and coarse sea salt for flavor and texture.
WHAT DOES CACIO E PEPE MEAN?
Cacio e pepe means cheese and pepper in several central Italian dialects. Normally served with pasta as the heat melts down the cheese and bind the pepper to the pasta. But why not enjoy those same flavors on crisp, fresh sugar snap peas and have an incredible side dish!
HOW TO PREPARE SNAP PEAS
Sugar snap peas CAN be eaten raw or cooked briefly. Mildly flavoured, the entire pod is edible once the tough ends along with the strings that run along the seam or edges are removed.
You could also use snow peas as both types are very similar in taste.
All you need to do is:
Heat oil and butter together in a large pan over medium-high heat. When butter has melted, add the snap peas, tossing them around in the pan to coat in the oil/butter mixture for 4-5 minutes.
Add fresh parmesan cheese and extra grinds of cracked black pepper, wait for the cheese to melt and wrap around each pod and you have yourself the most perfect side dish!
Serve with a little extra cheese and pepper and enjoy as a snack OR as a side along with your main!
Fresh, crunchy sugar snap peas perfectly sautéed in oil and butter, there’s nothing better.
Cacio E Pepe Sugar Snap Peas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound (500g) fresh sugar snap peas, stem ends and string removed from each pod
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus extra to serve
- 3/4 teaspoon black cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
- Heat oil and butter together in a large pan over medium-high heat. When butter has melted, add the snap peas, tossing them around in the pan to coat in the oil/butter mixture. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne (if using) and sauté for until the snap peas are crisp-tender, about 4-5 minutes
- Add in the parmesan cheese; cook until just slightly melted and remove immediately from the heat.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; season with extra parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper to serve.
Bobbi Stewart says
My new go to meal! It got 2 thumbs up from Hubby!!
Kristy Faith says
Love love love these!